Ocean

Sommet Saint-Sauveur Cinco de Mayo 2018!

The forecast was originally +16 and full sun, but of course things shift. I worried as I drove up that the sprinkles of rain would mean they'd close early, but I was pleased to arrive in the parking lot around 2:30 to one of the busiest afternoons I've seen in about a month! I fact it is the first day in about as long that I had to wait in a line to get on the lift. As everything near the Atomic lift had melted, lift service was via Etoile. I always enjoy the lazy spring rides on the Etoile to the sound of melting water underneath. Conditions were both slush bumps and ice, take your pick, scrape or get stuck. A fresh wax would have been of help that day, for sure. While most of Sauveur was open the previous week (well, all eight remaining runs), this week featured only Nordique, 70 Ouest, the Rockstar Park and surprising to me, two thirds of the bottom of 70 Est! I didn't get any snaps but could see from the highway where entire sections of Red Bird, Epervier and Jay had just melted away. The depth on 70 Ouest was still pretty good and I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to their anticipated new closing date of May 21st as they did two years back! Not long into my first few runs I caught up with my snowboarding friend and we did a number of pretty quick runs for the last hour of the day. We caught last chair, and were chased down the mountain by some surly ski patrol, who kept insisting grumpily that it's "the same thing every year" - at 5:01pm as his colleagues had not even gotten off the lift. The rest of the ski patrol, for their part, seemed to enjoy most of the afternoon sitting at the base of Etoile. I had wanted to grab a photo but didn't have time to pause in the lift line! 

At the end of the day, we decided to hike up the road along side La Plagne and ride down whatever was left of it. We were pleasantly surprised that the entire thing was still connected, although there were a few ice ribbons -- but no unstrapping required! Definitely those conditions were challenging for me and I "tripped" over some hard snow a few times midway down, and did better at the top.

The day could only have improved with full sun!

Skiing May 2018 200.JPG

Nordique bottom looking a little mushy. I had bet it wouldn't last til the following weekend.

Skiing May 2018 203.JPG

The strip connecting Nordique and 70 Ouest, still in great condition!

Skiing May 2018 204.JPG

Top of Nordique looking good!

Skiing May 2018 206.JPG

Top of 70 Ouest, getting a bit thinner but still pretty decent.

Skiing May 2018 207.JPG

Top of 70 Ouest, another view.

Skiing May 2018 212.JPG

This is what's left of the top of La Plagne. Compared to the previous week, it's in pretty sad shape, but still entirely in one piece!

1079856308_skiing20185C208.thumb.JPG.f363389ccf73b5d7d4d3e91532c56f93.JPG

Obligatory chairlift beer on the unoriginally named Cote 71 lift. A picture of a picture :)

skiing 2018 5C 237.JPG

Sunset from the top of La Plagne, right before our descent. 

skiing 2018 5C 243.JPG

Closeup of the snow conditions. Really easy to catch an edge for the uninitiated! I practiced on this stuff for weeks at the end of last season but still find it challenging.

Skiing May 2018 232.JPG

Refueling for tomorrow with the cinco de tacos: homemade taco meat, guacamole, pico de gallo, lime chile corn, oaxaca cheese, frijoles and jarritos. 

Hi Leslie, which date was this visit?

The snow at the bottom pitch of Nordique really melted out quickly for this Saturday, pretty bare now. Although your picture does make it look wet and sticky.

Good to see I'm not the only one who hikes up to the summit of a closed chairlift. haha.

*bump*

I was going to write this year's cinco de mayo trip report and then went to see what it was like last year: remarkably similar, except more snow and more coverage on 70 Est. Slightly warmer at 18+. Much sun. Many runs. Perfect Sunday afternoon!

What a difference a week makes! I was skiing La Plagne, 71, and 72 with pretty much full coverage. Sure melts fast at this time of year. The top of the Nordique looks good, but the bottom looked a bit slushy, and I bet now it's pretty much done.

@Paul I have it on good authority that La Plagne is still skiable almost top to bottom in full with just a few short connector strips here and there. 😉

I saw a video on Instagram of someone going down either Cote 71 or 72. Some patches here and there but mostly continous from what I could see. Impressive.

Yup I didn’t do those runs but people were still ducking under the line this past weekend! La Plagne might get patchy after this week’s rain but I expect it will hold!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Paul
      Pour clôturer la saison 2018-19, un voyage au Sommet St-Sauveur s'imposait aujourd'hui. Quittant Sherbrooke à 6h du matin avec un ciel couvert, j'ai roulé dans un peu de neige près du Mont Orford et il y avait de la poudreuse sur le sol. Nous n'avons pas eu les meilleurs week-ends dans les cantons dernièrement, et les 4 montagnes principaux sont maintenant fermés. C'était un trajet en douceur à travers la ville et nous sommes arrivés à la montagne un peu avant 8:30 pour un ciel couvert et une température de +4 degrés. Le démontage de l'Atomic Express est en cours car toutes les chaises sont maintenant hors de la ligne du télésiège et placées dans le terrain derrière la remontée. Les coureurs s'entraînaient très tôt sur le Nordique et la remontée Étoile n'était pas encore ouverte au public. Le remonte-pente ouvrait à 9 h, alors j'ai pris le temps de me préparer et de bien me reposer. 8 pistes ont été annoncées ouvertes ainsi que 2 quads et le Tapis Magique pour les débutants.

La première descente a eu lieu le long de la 70 Ouest. Le sentier n'était pas damé, mais la neige était un beau granulé doux de printemps. C'était un bon échauffement pour les jambes. La couverture était encore assez profonde, et n'était pas prête à abandonner même avec la pluie reçue dernièrement. Puis c'était sur la Plagne. La piste était bien entretenue et bien couverte pour cette période de l'année. Une belle couverture de printemps granuleuse, et un peu plus ferme avec la température plus fraîche en début de journée. En remontant la Côte 71 Quad, on a remarqué que le printemps était en route car il y avait des endroits découverts sur les bords et certains des sentiers de connexion étaient fermés. La piste de la Côte 71 était également damée de granules de printemps avec quelques points de glace sensibles, mais rien qu'on ne puisse éviter. La Côte 72 était à peu près la même. En fait, ils ont fini par être les favoris de la journée.
      Le sommet de la Côte 70 Ouest :

La Plagne:

Côtes 71 et 72 :

La neige a vraiment commencé à se ramollir à 10 h 30 et vous skiez sur de la purée de pommes de terre et, en cas de neige accumulée, vous avez été en mesure de les skier car ils étaient très mous. Rien de slushy. L'attente était inexistante à l'une ou l'autre des remontées mécaniques, ce qui permettait de faire des tours rapides. À midi, mes jambes commençaient à le sentir en skiant dans la neige douce du printemps. Park Daze a été reporté à aujourd'hui de midi à 16 h au pied du Silver Park. Ce fut une belle fin de saison qui a été longue et qui se poursuit encore ici à St-Sauveur. A la saison prochaine !
      Voici quelques scènes supplémentaires de la journée :

• By Ocean
      Hiking season has begun! As Saint-Sauveur's lift serviced operations came to a close on Sunday afternoon, I had grand confidence that the hush-hush whisperings of a surprise June 8th opening would materialize. Never before in recent years had the 70 Ouest and Nordique (top) been open together for the final day of the season. Surely the base would hold another week and maybe even several! To my surprise, I arrived late this afternoon to the mountain to see that most of the bottom of 70 Ouest was just gone! There had been a few patchy spots on Sunday, sure, but it seemed to me the base was much thicker than to melt so quickly away. I guess they got a lot more rain than I thought!
      As I arrived, I ran into another late skison enthusiast who had just rode down the 70 Ouest who assured me the snow, although crusty, was holding up on the rest of the hill. Usually in the spring I hike up with my board but having arrived later in the day and not being too skilled on air-chilled crust, I decided to suffer through a hike in my ski boots instead, for a worthy reward. 
      The 70 Ouest bottom was still looking pretty wet and muddy, so I decided to hike straight up the Nordique which had already been dry for nearly a week. Once I got to the top of the pitch, I was pleasantly surprised to see the snow park features still installed - with a little digging, the features are still rideable for sure. At the top of the park I crossed over to the other side of the glacier so I could hike up under the lift instead of the last steep pitch of the Nordique top. Suddenly, I realized I wasn't alone! A giant deer stood frozen straight in front of me just a few towers away. We stood there, eyeing one another, for quite some time, before the deer bounced away.
      Finally, I made it to the top, just in time to catch the tail end of sunset and a few panos while enjoying some delicious carbohydrates. As the last light was leaving the sky, I started my descent - Sunday's mush had become SUPER icy and crusty, but nothing a sharpened edge can't handle. The 70 Ouest is still almost fully covered except for a small mudpatch in the first section and of course the brown sugar bottom pitch. In a couple of days when the temps rise, the crust will become soft in the sun and it'll make for some perfect turns! 

Looking up from the bottom of Nordique.

The ascent begins!

View from the top of the final pitch.

Park life in effect!

The shadows grow long.

These little guys are gonna grow up to be so delicious!

Spotted: Coors Light in the wild.

Looking up L'Etoile, I spotted a little friend!

He stare.

Finally I arrive at the top of 70 Ouest.

Just in time for sunset. 

Pano from the top of L'Etoile.

Santé!

Getting stoked for the ride down!

Rose tinted descent.

Pano from the bottom pitch of 70 Ouest.

More is the motto. The flag insists!