Paul

Sommet St-Sauveur - May 27, 2018

Now the season has come to an end! With the announcement a short time ago that Sommet St. Sauveur was extending their season to May 26-27, I wasn't so sure it was going to happen, but it did! It was pretty much a last minute decision to go as the long range forecast from earlier in the week didn't look too promising, but it changed, like it normally does. So departure from Sherbrooke was scheduled for 6am to be sure that if there were delays, aka the Turcotte Exchange in Montreal, then I would still arrive on time for first runs.It was sunny when I left, but the closer I got to Montreal, it was starting to cloud over. I didn't drive into any rain. I arrived earlier than expected thanks to the little to no traffic on the island of Montreal. Smooth sailing and arrived in the parking lot at 8:15. Lift opened at 9:00. Nice wind down from the drive and took my time getting ready. 

fullsizeoutput_406.thumb.jpeg.96794dd82297acda48bf4dc36d519ba7.jpeg

I was 5th in line for first turns on the St. Sauveur glacier aka the 70 Ouest. All the snow that the Nordique had a couple of weeks ago is completely gone, with a patch near the top. The 70 Ouest had been groomed a bit as it was pretty smooth and soft with the typical spring type corn snow. The conditions were pretty good considering the melting and the mild temperatures in the past few weeks. The trail was just wide enough to pass through in some places but still decently covered. There were quite few people getting in their final turns of the season. Some were skiing on the grass for a short distance.

The top of the Etoile and someone skiing the overland route:

fullsizeoutput_403.thumb.jpeg.810bb1396b4fc13fc808ad2f60f39264.jpeg

By noon it started to get roughed up in some spots where the snow had been skied off and ice started to appear, but it was soft enough that your edges were doing their job and wasn't as difficult as it is when it's 20 below zero. The bumps that started forming on the bottom pitch were soft enough to pretty much ski through. There was the usual mogul strip, but they too were getting pretty worn. After 14 runs and 3 hours of skiing it was time to call it a season. It started to sprinkle a bit around 11 but nothing too wet. This marks the latest end to the ski season ever for me. This season was the best season for me in quite sometime. Another year of reporting for SlopeEdge under my belt and hopefully many more. Until next season!

Here are some more scenes of the day:

fullsizeoutput_407.thumb.jpeg.583dafe64c4284aca61135245124b1af.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_408.thumb.jpeg.5e8955c8d4d3ed2dfe148904e6357280.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_405.thumb.jpeg.a027e962d6847d7fa726fbf4637c3884.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_402.thumb.jpeg.b775890ba6bb0976635c30c475eb704e.jpeg

IMG_1089.thumb.JPG.5b96253c0e2fc5d760c9d2476d6a3f5a.JPG

it must have been pretty beaten up by that time? When I left at noon there was a spot near the top that was getting pretty iffy. The bottom pitch was getting somewhat icy as well but nothing a good edge couldn't handle. Did it rain during the afternoon when you were there?

So cool seeing green grass and leafed trees surrounding a dirty strip of snow. I’ll have to try it next season.  I’m sure a few cold ones were had on the lift. 

Great report. Wish I could have been there, but I hung up my skis 2 weeks ago for the summer.

The snow definitely held up very nicely, and again, I am surprised by how well. Killington was not continuous from top to bottom this weekend, as shown by the pictures and their webcam, so very surprised that Saint-Sauveur was and with very decent coverage all across.

I've been many times in the past at the very end and it was less than half what you had in the final pitch. Let's hope this momentum continues in the years to come.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, Paul said:

it must have been pretty beaten up by that time? When I left at noon there was a spot near the top that was getting pretty iffy. The bottom pitch was getting somewhat icy as well but nothing a good edge couldn't handle. Did it rain during the afternoon when you were there?

Totally missed this, so to answer your questions, yes, of course, naturally it started to rain the moment I pulled into the parking lot. That's ok though, I love skiing in the rain! I don't love it when they close early for rain however. The conditions were actually still decent when I arrived, there was maybe one muddy spot starting to appear in the first pitch. It rained, then misted for a while, and then the rain really came down, and about the last 3 runs I took, so, 4:20 onwards, the bottom section was almost a sheer ice, starting to get a little dangerous. I have a feeling that played into their deciding to close the lifts ten minutes early....again....this year. And of course, I was second to pull up just as they were closing the lifts and letting the super special 'last four skiers/riders in quebec' on the lift...denied!!! It's all good though. The top was still fine but the bottom section was just a bit too icy to be truly enjoyable. Unfortunately I didn't get back for a hike, but I'm betting it was good to ski ride until at least the week following when we had steady rain tuesday onwards.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Paul
      Pour clôturer la saison 2018-19, un voyage au Sommet St-Sauveur s'imposait aujourd'hui. Quittant Sherbrooke à 6h du matin avec un ciel couvert, j'ai roulé dans un peu de neige près du Mont Orford et il y avait de la poudreuse sur le sol. Nous n'avons pas eu les meilleurs week-ends dans les cantons dernièrement, et les 4 montagnes principaux sont maintenant fermés. C'était un trajet en douceur à travers la ville et nous sommes arrivés à la montagne un peu avant 8:30 pour un ciel couvert et une température de +4 degrés. Le démontage de l'Atomic Express est en cours car toutes les chaises sont maintenant hors de la ligne du télésiège et placées dans le terrain derrière la remontée. Les coureurs s'entraînaient très tôt sur le Nordique et la remontée Étoile n'était pas encore ouverte au public. Le remonte-pente ouvrait à 9 h, alors j'ai pris le temps de me préparer et de bien me reposer. 8 pistes ont été annoncées ouvertes ainsi que 2 quads et le Tapis Magique pour les débutants.

La première descente a eu lieu le long de la 70 Ouest. Le sentier n'était pas damé, mais la neige était un beau granulé doux de printemps. C'était un bon échauffement pour les jambes. La couverture était encore assez profonde, et n'était pas prête à abandonner même avec la pluie reçue dernièrement. Puis c'était sur la Plagne. La piste était bien entretenue et bien couverte pour cette période de l'année. Une belle couverture de printemps granuleuse, et un peu plus ferme avec la température plus fraîche en début de journée. En remontant la Côte 71 Quad, on a remarqué que le printemps était en route car il y avait des endroits découverts sur les bords et certains des sentiers de connexion étaient fermés. La piste de la Côte 71 était également damée de granules de printemps avec quelques points de glace sensibles, mais rien qu'on ne puisse éviter. La Côte 72 était à peu près la même. En fait, ils ont fini par être les favoris de la journée.
      Le sommet de la Côte 70 Ouest :

La Plagne:

Côtes 71 et 72 :

La neige a vraiment commencé à se ramollir à 10 h 30 et vous skiez sur de la purée de pommes de terre et, en cas de neige accumulée, vous avez été en mesure de les skier car ils étaient très mous. Rien de slushy. L'attente était inexistante à l'une ou l'autre des remontées mécaniques, ce qui permettait de faire des tours rapides. À midi, mes jambes commençaient à le sentir en skiant dans la neige douce du printemps. Park Daze a été reporté à aujourd'hui de midi à 16 h au pied du Silver Park. Ce fut une belle fin de saison qui a été longue et qui se poursuit encore ici à St-Sauveur. A la saison prochaine !
      Voici quelques scènes supplémentaires de la journée :

• By Ocean
      Hiking season has begun! As Saint-Sauveur's lift serviced operations came to a close on Sunday afternoon, I had grand confidence that the hush-hush whisperings of a surprise June 8th opening would materialize. Never before in recent years had the 70 Ouest and Nordique (top) been open together for the final day of the season. Surely the base would hold another week and maybe even several! To my surprise, I arrived late this afternoon to the mountain to see that most of the bottom of 70 Ouest was just gone! There had been a few patchy spots on Sunday, sure, but it seemed to me the base was much thicker than to melt so quickly away. I guess they got a lot more rain than I thought!
      As I arrived, I ran into another late skison enthusiast who had just rode down the 70 Ouest who assured me the snow, although crusty, was holding up on the rest of the hill. Usually in the spring I hike up with my board but having arrived later in the day and not being too skilled on air-chilled crust, I decided to suffer through a hike in my ski boots instead, for a worthy reward. 
      The 70 Ouest bottom was still looking pretty wet and muddy, so I decided to hike straight up the Nordique which had already been dry for nearly a week. Once I got to the top of the pitch, I was pleasantly surprised to see the snow park features still installed - with a little digging, the features are still rideable for sure. At the top of the park I crossed over to the other side of the glacier so I could hike up under the lift instead of the last steep pitch of the Nordique top. Suddenly, I realized I wasn't alone! A giant deer stood frozen straight in front of me just a few towers away. We stood there, eyeing one another, for quite some time, before the deer bounced away.
      Finally, I made it to the top, just in time to catch the tail end of sunset and a few panos while enjoying some delicious carbohydrates. As the last light was leaving the sky, I started my descent - Sunday's mush had become SUPER icy and crusty, but nothing a sharpened edge can't handle. The 70 Ouest is still almost fully covered except for a small mudpatch in the first section and of course the brown sugar bottom pitch. In a couple of days when the temps rise, the crust will become soft in the sun and it'll make for some perfect turns! 

Looking up from the bottom of Nordique.

The ascent begins!

View from the top of the final pitch.

Park life in effect!

The shadows grow long.

These little guys are gonna grow up to be so delicious!

Spotted: Coors Light in the wild.

Looking up L'Etoile, I spotted a little friend!

He stare.

Finally I arrive at the top of 70 Ouest.

Just in time for sunset. 

Pano from the top of L'Etoile.

Santé!

Getting stoked for the ride down!

Rose tinted descent.

Pano from the bottom pitch of 70 Ouest.

More is the motto. The flag insists!