Paul

Mont Bellevue - December 20, 2018

With the weather forecast looking bleak for Friday and Saturday in the Townships with a freezing rain warning and rain to follow, a visit to Mont Bellevue this evening was warranted. I arrived at the hill at 6:45pm to a half-full parking lot. Plenty of decent parking close to the chalet. Tonight was Thursday Men's Night where men 18+ ski free for the evening. There were 6/10 trails open and the Quad and the Beginner's Carpet were operating. Tonight's skiing was on groomed granular snow over a firm base. There were no icy patches anywhere. The conditions were fantastic. There was a small snow park on the right-hand side of the main trail with one rail and a couple of humps. Bellevue had been making snow earlier in the week and the snow cat was at work on building the snow park on trail 5 & 6 where it usually is.IMG_1559.thumb.JPG.418c6cd328a0200ba86c43c1390f1d1c.JPG

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.f1d37868fa2e34b6dee9e29f4a7ad630.JPG

There was a small crowd tonight and no wait at the Quad. Being that it was a school night, it was mainly adults skiing tonight. Some teens and some little ones were out and about as well. Men's night was on Saturday nights last season, however it has been moved to Thursdays now. It was fairly mild and no wind to chill things. It was partly cloudy with the moon peeking through. After about a couple of hours and a dozen runs it was time to call it. The crowd had thinned out and people were leaving by 9:30. The only downside to tonight had nothing to do with the conditions as they were fantastic as always, but it was with my ski boots. I could not get them comfortable at all and they actually hurt quite a bit which I have never experienced before like this with these boots. After a few runs they got better but still not 100%. I have had them since the 2012-13 season so I think I am due for some new ones before I go on any road trips later this winter. 

Here are some scenes from the evening:

IMG_1544.thumb.JPG.66d2ba7c1fbb3f15497a6792ff0daa74.JPG

IMG_1547.thumb.JPG.ace31d8c9299f70da43c286275ae6db8.JPG

IMG_1555.thumb.JPG.96ea73447b71921064282f3b9642fd7f.JPG

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.5fdd429934b0f2734585ccd8672cb894.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.32215da68471dcef6513559e7365dea4.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

I really like the look and layout of the ski terrain at Bellevue. Definitely looks bigger and more vast than it probably is. But for a municipal ski hill right in town, it is amazing.

Plus the lights of the Sherbrooke skyline add even more nighttime ambiance.

I really like their idea of the Men's Night to ski for free. A great way to get some ambiance and more people out onto the slopes for the potentially slower day of the week.

Great report Paul. Thanks for sharing. Definitely if I am ever out in Sherbrooke, I will try to make a point to visit Bellevue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Paul
      While sitting at my desk in the office today looking out the window, and watching all this white powder fall from the sky I knew a tough decision had to be made. Shovel the driveway when I got home or go skiing. Well you know what that decision was........and here is the report.
      I arrived at Bellevue at opening, 6pm, and the parking lot was already filling up quickly. Looked like a lot of other people had the same thought on their mind. To ski the 30 some centimetres of snow that fell last night and during the day today. The temperature was a comfortable -2 degrees upon arrival. Getting my lift ticket was quick and easy, as it is ladies night tonight, and It usually gets pretty busy. A long line up is the norm, but arriving early certainly helped out. Only the Quad chair and the beginner's Magic Carpet were in operation tonight.

The conditions were machine groomed, packed powder with no base in sight! There was plenty of snow between you and the base underneath. Also they had left some powder stashes all over the hill to be had! Some trails and pitches were not touched by the groomer, and the main trail under the upper section was half width groomed, and the other half untouched! I am usually a groomer kind of skier, and stick to that type of trail, but tonight I wasn't going to let the powder pass me by. I found myself skiing the powder quite a bit.

The line up was starting to get busy by 7, and the singles line was a great friend where I waited not more than a minute or two to hop on a chair. The line up for the Quad enters by either side. The other side where you can't see was just as long.

I skied for a couple of hours only, until 8, as I knew what was waiting for me when I arrived home. No it wasn't a cold one, but a driveway full of snow, and a nice bank at the entrance to shovel courtesy of the city sidewalk plough and the street plough. The conditions tonight were just absolutely fantastic, and I consider myself very fortunate to have a hill nearby like Bellevue to scratch the skiing itch when you need to make a few laps, and when you have very little time to do so. My total appreciation Ville de Sherbrooke for providing, and supporting a local ski area such as this!
      Here are some more scenes from the evening:

• By Paul
      It had been 3 weeks since the last outing which resulted with a leg injury and being off the boards during that time. Feeling much better now, Mont Bellevue was the destination this evening to see how well the leg felt. I had pulled my calf muscle on my left leg skiing at Wildcat at the beginning of the month. Putting the boot on was fine so that was a good sign. I had arrived at the hill at 6:30 to a half filled parking lot. It had been announced that this was to be Bellevue's last weekend of the season. Tonight was the last for night skiing, plus it was freebie night for the Men. Only the quad was spinning this evening and all trails were open. The conditions were still pretty decent. Machine groomed granular snow over a firm base with one or two little spots that were bearing ice. It is very rare that you will see ice here during the season. Bellevue does and excellent job of grooming and keeping the trails in tip top shape. 

There were signs on the first pitch under the Quad indicating that spring is coming, as there were a few spots popping through where it was getting a bit thin but nothing too drastic. Most of the skiers and boarders tonight were local kids and teens getting their last turns and shreds of the season. The wait in line for the lift was non-existant. There were only two occasions where I rode the lift with someone else.
      A couple of spots under the Quad showing signs of spring:

Bottom of trail 2:

One of the jumps in the snowpark:

The snowpark at Bellevue is located on trails 5 & 6 with jumps and rails. Just off to the right of this jump was where the Pomalift 1 lift line was located, which is now trail 4a.
      The old Poma lift line:

After 16 runs I had had enough and ended the evening by 9:00 pm. It started snowing lightly around this time but didn't last very long. I will have to say that each time that I had skied Bellevue this year, 3 times,  the conditions were fantastic and the trails were well maintained and well groomed. We are very fortunate to have a hill like Bellevue in the city of Sherbrooke. See you again next season Mont Bellevue!
      Here are a few of more scenes of the evening: