Shane

Camp Fortune - December 31, 2018

It's the final day of 2018 and wanting to end it in true skiing style, a ski double-header was on the menu. Mont Ste Marie in the morning and Camp Fortune in the afternoon. (Be sure to check out the other report here).

I arrived at Camp Fortune around 1pm on the Valley Side. Saddling up my ski boots once for the second time today, I was off to the trails. Betting big, I decided I would just focus on the Meech sector of the mountain this visit. It did not disappoint the slightest. Wow, Paradis and North American are in excellent shape. Other than my final run out through Allen's Alley, the rest of the time was spent on these two trails.

Paradis is the longest trail at Camp Fortune at approximately a mile in length. All along the way, you can catch glimpses of Meech Lake in the distance as well as the surrounding Gatineau Park.

North American is very similar to Paradis except it is narrower and holds most of its drops near the beginning. Formerly only a natural snow trail, this year, snowmaking was added to North American and is no doubt responsible for it being open today. This is great news as it is truly a fantastic trail.

The Meech sector of Camp Fortune is truly the best-kept secret of the mountain. Long trails, great views, interesting terrain that is just as enjoyable the fifth time as the first... you can't go wrong.

For those who love checking out trail maps, North American also offers another way back to the Valley from Skyline. By taking Sparks down to just past the Skyway trail, you will find on the left side a sign for Meech Crossing. Head down there and you will reach North American. From there, it's just a lift ride back up and you are in the Valley. Don't worry, we won't tell anyone that Humdinger Ravine is actually not one of your favorites.

Great conditions today, and things will only get even better with the coming snow fall overnight and into New Years.

Wishing you a Happy New Year ahead with plenty of skiing and snow!

Here are some pictures from today's visit.

Riding up the Meech quad.

IMG_0168.thumb.jpg.fe03c153970dec730046352428217857.jpg

The summit of the Meech and Pineault (right) quad chairlifts.

IMG_0176.thumb.jpg.31d0081ec812ca514698eeb5bd899e1c.jpg

Heading down Paradis.

IMG_0171.thumb.jpg.0096124dfb6a893638be6a320b19bfa5.jpg

IMG_0180.thumb.jpg.257d350d568566771835cd8031ccf997.jpg

IMG_0184.thumb.jpg.de86a914e0e547fd89e04473b2b25baf.jpg

North American.

IMG_0187.thumb.jpg.6b79cf9509db67a7d766c1fb722db00b.jpg

IMG_0189.thumb.jpg.9bd2f39cab8011816c23518490059ded.jpg

IMG_0192.thumb.jpg.a1af7f8356aa9de54b326cbf00df2f42.jpg

IMG_0193.thumb.jpg.b6ead6ee7bffe557485bfc492981c912.jpg

Heading back to the chalet to finish off the day via Pineault and Allen's Alley.

IMG_0195.thumb.jpg.881522c9e6818c262b6617cbca306637.jpg

The Camp Fortune (Ryan Tower) stands just above Clifford and Marshall in the distance, as the sun begins setting on 2018.

IMG_0197.thumb.jpg.c2f3b479cfbd9d2bb1b5d9dc69abc2e8.jpg

Wow! Pulling double duty there Shane! Get it in while you can. Another set of great photos to give the ones who haven't been there before an idea on how Fortune is. Looks like the coverage is excellent and not to hard or too fast.

All the best for 2019!

Meech is definitely my favourite - I really do wish they would install lights on these trails for night skiing, it would be an excellent improvement! I rarely make it before 3pm, so I haven't been on either trail in a few years. Sounds like an excellent end to 2018!

I'm not sure Camp Fortune would ever invest in lights for the Meech runs.  The trails are kind of underused and rather long.  Fortune should light Heggtveit though.

The Meech trails could have a lot more potential if they opened up a run under the lift and opened a glade section accessed via Paradis.  Right now you can tree ski (An Natural Sous-Bois) from the top Skyway down onto Sentier Meech trail then connect with North American.

My guess is that Meech is underused because it's rarely open. I don't think they do snowmaking on those trails, or do they? Also though, that chair is super slow.