Gordo

Powder Alerts 2019/20

Thursday/Friday's forecast is looking good however I have seen some models that include rain or sleet. Best case scenario to date:

Thursday: Ottawa gets 10 cm, Saint-Sauveur gets 10-15 cm, Bromont gets 10-15 cm.

Friday: Ottawa gets 2-3 cm, Saint-Sauveur gets 5 cm, Bromont gets 15-20 cm. 

Right now it looks like the townships will own the best conditions. I'm in Ottawa right now and undecided as to whether I'll head towards the townships Thursday night or Friday! Saturday will probably also be pretty great.

@Ocean the townships may get hit hard.  Sutton will be in the storm centre.  I'm going to Camp Fortune Thursday night though then Tremblant Friday.

@Gordo oh damn! I was at Fortune tonight! I started at Edelweiss after 6, did an hour there and then drove to Fortune. I was hoping there'd be more snow on the ground earlier, it only started coming down in the last hour! soooooooo good though!!

I'll be heading for Bromont tomorrow most likely. However, my buddy was there tonight and said they had got some rain so we're waiting to see if Sauveur will be better Friday and then the townships Saturday.

We had some freezing rain last night in Sherbrooke, and then the snow covered it up. It dumped. Here's the BBQ snow report as of 4 this afternoon. If there is anywhere to go this weekend it would be Sutton. It will be packed though! 

9762266F-92F1-4DA9-A549-73A55EA81C98.thumb.jpeg.c3c1ffa4e0196b52866bc2727df5207b.jpeg

Woke up this morning with a nice fresh fluffy 5cm on the car to brush off, and as of noon it is still snowing! Latest reports are that the Townships are in for another 15cms before it's done today, and then possibly some more later in the week! Bring it on!

Friday at Bromont after the 4 hour drive from Ottawa was mental! Bumps for days!

I went to St-Sauveur Saturday and they clearly did not get the snowfall that the Townships did. It was still good, but also, cold, that night.

Sunday back at Bromont was still decent but with the colder temps a bit more challenging.

Monday after receiving another half foot or so, it was back in prime form with untouched pow in the glades (I'm told cause I don't glade) and soft bumps. Probably was good tonight and will be tomorrow as well before another 5 cm falls on Thursday! The models are showing snow. I

I'm back in Ottawa now and Camp Fortune tonight was the busiest I've seen it on Skyline in a while (of the times I've been there). Excellent conditions, just a few icy spots that were skied out.

Tomorrow on to Edelweiss @Gordo and @Shane where are you shredding if at all!

Lots of good snow lately. It was quite fluffy and soft this past weekend, which is always a joy to see.

Sadly still have yet to get out onto the slopes. "Hoping" to change that in the near future.

Gordo, have you done the new glade on Meech this year? How is it? What does it compare to as far as steepness and difficulty?

@Shane the new glade on Meech is excellent, it may be my favorite run of the resort.  The run is rated black with a good pitch after the flat entry.  The run is pretty wide and the trees are well spaced with many line options, some steeper then others.

I really do wish they'd put lighting on Meech. It would add so much more to the experience at Fortune!

@Gordo I'll probably do Edelweiss Thursday but could potentially pop in for last hour of the day, we'll see (how busy it is, how conditions are, etc).

@Ocean back in the day when I was there it would get busy enough sometimes to run the Green Chair for a day! Not the whole week though. Nowadays it's not as busy. I skied OH during Quebec March break last season, and I don't think I spent more than 5-10 minutes in line at any of the chairs, and that was without the Old Lake Quad running. It's hit and miss sometimes. Since they converted the Appartment Hotel to private condos, there is only the auberge at the Mountain Haus for lodging, and that is only 10 rooms. So it may not be so busy as it used to be. Sutton would probably be nuts. More so if it snows. 

@Paul thanks! Friends went to Owl's Head Saturday, then Sutton yesterday and Orford today and I met them there for some afternoon runs! It was nice in the sun, starting to crust up (and hard to see contour) in the shade, and overall pretty great conditions. Too cold for a lot of trip report photos though!

Also: 15-20cm incoming to the Laurentians and Charlevoix! (well, anywhere north really).

Townships should be a mix of snow ending with rain and warm temps end of day. Also wind.

@Ocean Camp Fortune only got a little over 5cms. I went last night though and the skiing was great. Nice smeary snow and warm temperatures.

@Gordo the storm underperformed in the Laurentians, but it was still nice. It iced up a bit later in the evening. Next storm Thursday maybe?

@Ocean Wednesday into Thursday could be a big one, like the biggest of the season. Fingers crossed. If it’s over 20cm I think i’ll take Thursday off.