• Announcements

• Shane

Winter is here! Calling all ski, snowboard and snow reporters!   12/01/2017

Are you passionate about skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing?  Can't let your time on the slopes go undocumented?  Do you want to have a place to share your stories? If your answer is yes, then we want to hear from you. ______________________________________ SlopeEdge is looking for ski, snowboard and snowshoe enthusiasts to serve as volunteer contributors while sharing their time on the slopes with us this winter in the form of writing, photo and video. We are interested in bringing on board new team members, to help create more content, and to expand our footprint and regions that we cover. As it is a volunteer opportunity, you are free to contribute and post at your own frequency. If you are already documenting your experiences on the slopes through writing, photo and video, you are already doing what we are looking for. We want to provide you a home to showcase the winter content you may already be creating. What We Do The main goal of SlopeEdge is to create positive promotion and support of the sport of skiing and snowboarding, as well as the many unique ski mountains available to enjoy and discover in the British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec regions. We accomplish this through regular ski reports, news and updates, how to guides, ski mountain profiles... just to name a few. We are a fun community of passionate mountain enthusiasts, eager to share our experiences, stories and adventures in the slopes with others. Why Join Being part of our team allows you to contribute and collaborate with a fun and creative community that makes positive promotion of the ski industry in our regions. You will be helping others discover new mountains to enjoy and bring awareness of less known ski mountains to the larger public. In addition to enhancing your on-camera and storytelling skills, joining our team will also allow you to build and showcase your portfolio, reach and personal brand. How to Apply Please send us an email at and tell us a bit about yourself and why you would like to join us. We look forward to working together and helping promote the great mountain sports we all practice in the winter season.
Sign in to follow this  
Shane

Camp Fortune - April 14, 2017

P1050207.thumb.jpg.19739609bc2ed84920a7573e5235f650.jpgHere we are, at the end of the ski season in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. With the snow nearly all melted from the city and the heavy rain received over the past week, you could easily think that the skiing is over. This is definitely not the case. In fact, I can't remember the last time I skied at Easter at Camp Fortune where they had this much snow, and the skiing conditions were this great. Even more surprising, the Valley is still open, with Pineault and Allen's Alley, in addition to the trails on Skyline. 

P1050297.thumb.jpg.9dc4e1d951435f281be8c806b5911dd8.jpg

P1050207.thumb.jpg.19739609bc2ed84920a7573e5235f650.jpg

P1050235.thumb.jpg.bb4c8f8b64639fb0f3097c00ca9dd8a7.jpg

P1050222.thumb.jpg.a6f0289e5d42947e7fdfad2b6a7072e3.jpg

P1050252.thumb.jpg.9546f3e87a27daf8322e34bdfa849160.jpg

P1050265.thumb.jpg.068476869022fb31a1f07cb496535d03.jpg

P1050229.thumb.jpg.c4d4b2c0b07ecfafc72b3771ae7173b9.jpg

I started skiing shortly after opening at 9am. The first trail I tried was Heggveit, the classic double diamond of Camp Fortune. Wow, what a ride. The snow was already softening out and the slope was impeccable. Just a true joy to experience. Thanks to the spring conditions and the more forgiving snow, the imposing wall of this beast of a trail is more easily tamed. Gliding into each turn after turn, the mountain really opens up and delivers on this fantastic spring day.

P1050292.thumb.jpg.9ccb60f80927a92967410e64bf037f4b.jpg

Next up was Bud Clark and Lower Canadian. These trails were also in great condition. 

Sparks, an intermediate trail that winds its way down the mountain was also lots of fun to enjoy. The upper half, due to the orientation and shade from the sun stayed more firm and winter like during the morning but the bottom half softened out quick enough.

P1050220.thumb.jpg.6b944faf4a3f7b096fc3c28e0f528663.jpg

Interesting to note, the snow was soft and enjoyable but wasn't in any way sticky or slushy. Even Humdinger Ravine (the return trail to the Valley side) was easy to cross, and we all know it can often be a bit of a grind as it is quite flat.

P1050323.thumb.jpg.4cbddb1651aa110b6afc9761b161b224.jpg

On to the Valley side, Pineault and Allen's Alley were both open, providing ski terrain for beginners and intermediates to enjoy. I can't remember the last time these trails, or really any trails outside of Skyline were open this late into the spring, so it was definitely great to see. Even for Advanced or Expert skiers, having these trails available to enjoy relaxing descents down the mountain was appreciated. Once again, the abundant snowfalls and a somewhat cooperative mother nature helped make this possible.

Overall, the conditions were excellent. The trails that were open provided nearly perfect snow coverage, with almost all trails full width, with no ice. Lineups at the two open lifts were non-existant. Today being Easter, there was a family Easter Egg Hunt that took place on Allen's Alley at 11am. Great way for children and parents to get out and walk the mountain, surrounded by perfect blue skies.

P1050329.thumb.jpg.7320172132bfc880f968fb5d381e774c.jpg

Camp Fortune is scheduled to end their ski season on Sunday, however, mother nature has already submitted her friendly reminder that ultimately she is still the boss. Rain is forecasted for late Saturday afternoon into Sunday. So there is a good chance that Saturday may be the last day of the season. With this a strong possibility, you really owe it to yourself to get on out and have a great time.

This ski season has been nothing short of incredible, so why not finish it off in style, with shirts and shorts, on the slopes. Lift tickets are $20 and $5 for ages 6 and under. Skyline will be open 9am-4pm (Friday was the last day for the Valley). Definitely recommended that you check Camp Fortune's website before going to confirm they are open due to the forecasted weather.

This time of year, it is always best to heed the words of MasterGoa... "Get off your couches!"

Happy skiing!

• Like 1

Looks like you had the same beautiful skies we did here in the Townships! Conditions look pretty sweet as well for being this late in the season! Thanks for the report. Piquing my interest in skiing in that area next year if weather and schedules work out.