• Announcements

• Shane

Winter is here! Calling all ski, snowboard and snow reporters!   12/01/2017

Are you passionate about skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing?  Can't let your time on the slopes go undocumented?  Do you want to have a place to share your stories? If your answer is yes, then we want to hear from you. ______________________________________ SlopeEdge is looking for ski, snowboard and snowshoe enthusiasts to serve as volunteer contributors while sharing their time on the slopes with us this winter in the form of writing, photo and video. We are interested in bringing on board new team members, to help create more content, and to expand our footprint and regions that we cover. As it is a volunteer opportunity, you are free to contribute and post at your own frequency. If you are already documenting your experiences on the slopes through writing, photo and video, you are already doing what we are looking for. We want to provide you a home to showcase the winter content you may already be creating. What We Do The main goal of SlopeEdge is to create positive promotion and support of the sport of skiing and snowboarding, as well as the many unique ski mountains available to enjoy and discover in the British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec regions. We accomplish this through regular ski reports, news and updates, how to guides, ski mountain profiles... just to name a few. We are a fun community of passionate mountain enthusiasts, eager to share our experiences, stories and adventures in the slopes with others. Why Join Being part of our team allows you to contribute and collaborate with a fun and creative community that makes positive promotion of the ski industry in our regions. You will be helping others discover new mountains to enjoy and bring awareness of less known ski mountains to the larger public. In addition to enhancing your on-camera and storytelling skills, joining our team will also allow you to build and showcase your portfolio, reach and personal brand. How to Apply Please send us an email at and tell us a bit about yourself and why you would like to join us. We look forward to working together and helping promote the great mountain sports we all practice in the winter season.
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Mont Orford - April 15, 2017

The choice today to pretty much end my 2016-17 ski season was Mont Orford. I have ended 3 of the past 4 seasons here and what a day to close out the year! Today had been announced that Orford would be closing for the season due to the weather for Easter Sunday and Monday not being great with rain in the forecast for the Townships. Beautiful bluebird sky to start, really mild, and true spring skiing at its best were to be had.

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.9ce4ba464b6029af78c488c4fdb1861d.JPG

2 lifts were spinning, the Hybride, a 6 seater chair/gondola serving the Trois Ruisseaux and Grand Coulée trails on Mount Orford, and the Mont Giroux North Quad serving the Magnum, Jean-Davignon, Magog and Pente Douce trails. The conditions were fantastic, true spring skiing with corn snow on a soft base. The first runs were up the Hybride to the Trois Ruisseaux (3 Creeks Trail) and the Grande Coulée.

Trois Ruisseaux - Top, Middle, and Bottom:

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.2c75f0e7c940f864482a06882543b6ac.JPG

IMG_1814.thumb.JPG.24fcae0c5f7bb258d8f1fca93e6f8c2b.JPG

IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.b7f4e87876e661b208c7b30b31371bc3.JPG

The Grand Coulée:

IMG_1824.thumb.JPG.d3f74b9468a5c51102e53c5b2eeead19.JPG

The groomers had been out the night before to fix up some areas as the top of the Jean-Davignon was just wide enough to pass by to get to the main pitch were coverage was complete. The Magnum, which is a single black diamond trail to the left side of the Giroux North Quad heading up, was pretty tricky at the beginning not being groomed and with rocks pushing through but once you got past that section the coverage was decent. The bumps that started to appear during the morning were so soft that you could practically ski through them that's how nice and forgiving the snow was.

The Magnum:

IMG_1826.thumb.JPG.092ecf828dcb2aee1be7df2f2ff52554.JPG

The Jean-Davignon:

IMG_1827.thumb.JPG.86e6ed670190c2b1a45e6e44c70a8dbb.JPG

IMG_1828.thumb.JPG.1743b5b53a06a1691c3d3ca0ca435398.JPG

The line up for either lift was pretty much non-existent but later on in the morning around 10:30 or so, the Hybride experienced some troubles with the synchronization with the spacing of the chairs and gondolas that they had to close it to the public and have them ski the Giroux North Quad, which increased the wait time to no more that five minutes or so, with the assistance of one operator directing traffic and the other watching the loading of the chairs. The line moved very efficiently and loading was a breeze. Well organized with the Hybride off line.

IMG_1831.thumb.JPG.09e48c60d9109e3b8caab31c364bc3a6.JPG

By 12:30 and after 10 runs, my knees were saying that's enough. I would normally ski longer but I listened to them and didn't push them any harder, risking any serious injury.

This is most likely my last report of the season. I am glad that I found SlopeEdge albeit mid-season this year, and I am planning on being back with you for 2017-18 for a full season of reports and discoveries like this year's Mount Abram and Whaleback outings. All the best for the summer and Peace Out!

Paul

• Like 1

Wow, excellent report Paul. The Trois Ruisseau trail, in particular, looks like a lot of fun to cruise and experience.

I've only been to Orford once, about 5 years ago, but you really show some of the interesting trails that would have me return. Which trails would you say are the best cruisers on the mountain? The only ones I can remember specifically having done are the Grande Coulee and Magog, and a couple others off the Giroux Nord chair.

Too bad about the Hybride being offline, but good initiative on the part of the mountain to ensure the other lift was loading efficiently. I guess in weather like this, the chairs are more popular than the gondola cabins, for people wanting to take in the sun and mild weather.

I remember from my visit they had yurts at the summit. Are the open to the skiing public or do they have something set up inside?

Enjoy the rest of the long weekend Paul.

Thank you Shane, as you may have seen I blend two of my favorite pastimes into one. Skiing and photography. The yourtes at the summit were removed last season 15-16 I believe. They were getting tattered and worn so they dismantled them. As for the cruisers: anything off of GIroux North or East with the exception of maybe the upper Magnum is decent for cruising. The 4km is the only Green from the top of Orford that is really nice for cruising as well as the Grande Coulée, and 3 Creeks. The Alfred Desochers sector has a couple of nice trails as well. This is the all natural snow area and it was pretty nice earlier in the season when I went. This is where the old double chair is. The glades are exceptional when there is a lot of snow but I usually stay out. I am not much of a glade skier. The only thing about Orford at the summit is the wind. It can be colder that you know what when the wind picks up. Yesterday the breeze at the top was nice.

Orford looks like a great mountain.  Next winter I'll have to do a long weekend and ski Orford, Owl's Head and Sutton. Well the season is over for me... back to reading ski reviews. Cheers. 

Hi Locknar, personally, I've only been once, and there was a heavy fog over half the mountain so I wasn't overly adventurous during my visit. Having said that, what I did get to experience was amazing, great trails that curve and wind their way down the mountain. I also found the chalet and its layout to be very impressive, with I believe two levels (maybe three?) and great views of the slopes from large windows.

I think one of the big attractions is it is made up of three mountains, some with different orientations, so it has the ability to give off a different feel as you move around and explore.

I think my favorite in the Townships is Owl's Head. Lilly's Leap and Upward trail... I could do that duo all day long, the incredible views never get old. Sutton is also great with the atmosphere and ambiance, as well as the design of the trails, crossing and connecting all the way down. 

Definitely going to visit Orford again next season!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Shane
      Here we are, at the end of the ski season in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. With the snow nearly all melted from the city and the heavy rain received over the past week, you could easily think that the skiing is over. This is definitely not the case. In fact, I can't remember the last time I skied at Easter at Camp Fortune where they had this much snow, and the skiing conditions were this great. Even more surprising, the Valley is still open, with Pineault and Allen's Alley, in addition to the trails on Skyline. 

I started skiing shortly after opening at 9am. The first trail I tried was Heggveit, the classic double diamond of Camp Fortune. Wow, what a ride. The snow was already softening out and the slope was impeccable. Just a true joy to experience. Thanks to the spring conditions and the more forgiving snow, the imposing wall of this beast of a trail is more easily tamed. Gliding into each turn after turn, the mountain really opens up and delivers on this fantastic spring day.

Next up was Bud Clark and Lower Canadian. These trails were also in great condition. 
      Sparks, an intermediate trail that winds its way down the mountain was also lots of fun to enjoy. The upper half, due to the orientation and shade from the sun stayed more firm and winter like during the morning but the bottom half softened out quick enough.

Interesting to note, the snow was soft and enjoyable but wasn't in any way sticky or slushy. Even Humdinger Ravine (the return trail to the Valley side) was easy to cross, and we all know it can often be a bit of a grind as it is quite flat.

On to the Valley side, Pineault and Allen's Alley were both open, providing ski terrain for beginners and intermediates to enjoy. I can't remember the last time these trails, or really any trails outside of Skyline were open this late into the spring, so it was definitely great to see. Even for Advanced or Expert skiers, having these trails available to enjoy relaxing descents down the mountain was appreciated. Once again, the abundant snowfalls and a somewhat cooperative mother nature helped make this possible.
      Overall, the conditions were excellent. The trails that were open provided nearly perfect snow coverage, with almost all trails full width, with no ice. Lineups at the two open lifts were non-existant. Today being Easter, there was a family Easter Egg Hunt that took place on Allen's Alley at 11am. Great way for children and parents to get out and walk the mountain, surrounded by perfect blue skies.

Camp Fortune is scheduled to end their ski season on Sunday, however, mother nature has already submitted her friendly reminder that ultimately she is still the boss. Rain is forecasted for late Saturday afternoon into Sunday. So there is a good chance that Saturday may be the last day of the season. With this a strong possibility, you really owe it to yourself to get on out and have a great time.
      This ski season has been nothing short of incredible, so why not finish it off in style, with shirts and shorts, on the slopes. Lift tickets are $20 and $5 for ages 6 and under. Skyline will be open 9am-4pm (Friday was the last day for the Valley). Definitely recommended that you check Camp Fortune's website before going to confirm they are open due to the forecasted weather.
      This time of year, it is always best to heed the words of MasterGoa... "Get off your couches!"
      Happy skiing!
    • By Gordo
      Wow what a great ski day!. 15c by midday, loads of snow coverage and killer spring skiing.  Skyline and the Valley were both open with a dual slalom race on slalom. Even Swan Dive was still skiable with all natural coverage. Snow was corn but not slush, fast and fun. 

• By Shane
      April is famous for its spring skiing, and for me, there is no better place to go than Sommet Saint-Sauveur. They really know how to put on a great show, from the legendary ambiance on the outdoor terrace, to the entertainment and friendly competitions of all sorts, to offering the longest ski season in the province and being last to close. This year they are aiming to stay open until May 14th, that gives another month and a half of skiing to go.

Arriving at the mountain slightly before 8:30am, the parking was already approximately 1/3 full. There was a competition to take place on 70 Ouest so it was understandable. That said, there was still much fewer people present on the trails than I was expecting. Lift lines were a minute or less all day, including the Atomic Express. 
      Snow conditions in the early morning were firm and well groomed, but quickly changed after 10am to become soft and fast. As I have always observed from past years, the conditions on the Versant Avila were different from the main mountain of Sommet Saint-Sauveur. Both sections of the mountain have a different orientation with the sun, of about 45 degrees. This leaves Versant Avila with what I found to be firmer conditions longer into the day than the rest of the mountain.
      Virtually all trails were open, with the main notable exceptions of some of the gladed trails.
      Two highlights for me on this visit were Devaleuse and Cote 68. Both are intermediate trails and often offer great skiing. With nice constant pitches from top to bottom, they were both pure joy to run down.

Cote 68.
      In the morning I also did Épervier, a more expert trail, offering a great drop in the mid-section, to really make you get technical with your skiing. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture, I wanted to come back to snap one but I just got soo distracted skiing the other trails.
      During my 4 hour visit, I'm sure I did over 20 runs, and with no lines, it was great to just keep going lap after lap.
      I hadn't skied at Sommet Saint-Sauveur in a couple years so I was interested in keeping an eye out for any changes and improvements that have been made. The top section of 70 Ouest has been widened, which greatly eases the circulation of skiers on the trail. Very welcome as 70 Ouest is always the first to open and last to close on the mountain each year, and the top was historically a bit of a bottleneck during those times. Cote 68 was also reported to have been widened, but I can't confirm exactly where, perhaps the mid-section. There are also some new connections between some adjacent trails, mainly in the Atomic Express sector of the mountain, making it easy to switch from Red Bird to Jay or Épervier, for example. Also new is the Etoile trail, running under the top part of the chairlift of the same name. It is a short moguls trail, that did previously exist when the new lift was installed, but is now officially recognized on the trail map.

The Avenue des Champions, dedicated in honor of the athletes hailing from Sommet Saint-Sauveur over the many years, who have achieved greatness on the world stage. Narrow and windy with lots of zig zags, be sure to keep an eye out for the stars mounted in the trees, signed by each athlete recognized.
      Already announced for next season, the main chalet will be expanded to offer more space for the cafeteria eating area, and more space for the rentals. Cote 67 and Pronto trails on Versant Avila will also be widened, and improvements to the snowmaking system to offer more trails more quickly at the start of the season are also planned.
      Overall, an amazing visit at one of my favorite ski mountains. With still a month and a half to go, and plenty of upcoming events planned, Sommet Saint-Sauveur is the place to be this spring. Get off your couches, the season is not over yet!
      Here's some more pictures of the day.

The dream homes on La Plagne.

Jay.

Nordique. Still plenty of snow!

70 Est.

Sous-bois (located between Versant Avila and Devaleuse).

Express (Versant Avila).

Express Ouest.

Laurentian (Versant Avila).

70 Ouest and 70 Est.

Beaver Tails!
      Have a great week ahead and happy skiing!
    • By Gordo
      I have to say Mont Chilly is a hidden gem. Yes its rather far from Ottawa and it only has a T-bar for hill access but its a got a great vibe, friendly locals and some great terrain.  I got to the hill around 10:30am after a scenic drive down 148. Watch for deer there were lots out in the farmer fields.  Anyway the t-bar was just starting after purchasing the $20 lift ticket.   Condition wise the snow was sticky from a couple cm's of fresh snow but as the day progressed the conditions got faster becoming typical spring skiing like.  Now for the cool news, there is a new run at Chilly, #5. Its on the far side of #4. You have to traverse a trail at the top marked with pink flagging tap till it opens up to a steep glade run with a natural canyon.  This will be killer tree run on powder day through mature hard wood. At the bottom it connects with #4 for the run out back to the T-bar.  Fun times were had.  Everyone should hit Mont Chilly at least once a season. 

One of the Chilly Dogs

A section of #5

More #5

#3 Glade..I think

Looking down about half way through glade run #5

Privacy Policy