• Announcements

• Shane

Winter is here! Calling all ski, snowboard and snow reporters!   12/01/2017

Are you passionate about skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing?  Can't let your time on the slopes go undocumented?  Do you want to have a place to share your stories? If your answer is yes, then we want to hear from you. ______________________________________ SlopeEdge is looking for ski, snowboard and snowshoe enthusiasts to serve as volunteer contributors while sharing their time on the slopes with us this winter in the form of writing, photo and video. We are interested in bringing on board new team members, to help create more content, and to expand our footprint and regions that we cover. As it is a volunteer opportunity, you are free to contribute and post at your own frequency. If you are already documenting your experiences on the slopes through writing, photo and video, you are already doing what we are looking for. We want to provide you a home to showcase the winter content you may already be creating. What We Do The main goal of SlopeEdge is to create positive promotion and support of the sport of skiing and snowboarding, as well as the many unique ski mountains available to enjoy and discover in the British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec regions. We accomplish this through regular ski reports, news and updates, how to guides, ski mountain profiles... just to name a few. We are a fun community of passionate mountain enthusiasts, eager to share our experiences, stories and adventures in the slopes with others. Why Join Being part of our team allows you to contribute and collaborate with a fun and creative community that makes positive promotion of the ski industry in our regions. You will be helping others discover new mountains to enjoy and bring awareness of less known ski mountains to the larger public. In addition to enhancing your on-camera and storytelling skills, joining our team will also allow you to build and showcase your portfolio, reach and personal brand. How to Apply Please send us an email at and tell us a bit about yourself and why you would like to join us. We look forward to working together and helping promote the great mountain sports we all practice in the winter season.
Paul

Sommet St. Sauveur - November 12, 2017

Well the time has come. Day 1 of the new 2017-18 season for me is in the books. With an early departure from Sherbrooke at 6am this morning under cloudy skies, and -5 Celsius, destination was Sommet St. Sauveur. Travelling was great until I hit Montreal of course. A little detour made while work was being done on the Turcotte interchange. Nothing new there. Arrival at Sauveur was 8:30, parking was great as I was one of the early arrivals. I got there early so I could relax a bit and get ready to go when the lift opened for 9am. The Pente d'Ecole, and the 70 West, with the Etoile quad spinning today on Sauveur's Day 2. The temperature was about -3, cloudy, and no wind.

The Etoile:

img1.thumb.JPG.2209099c6793b820e68242c8f93f0490.JPG

The Pente d'Ecole Beginner's Area:

IMG_2122.thumb.JPG.22efad282810b6b0546f29f66b4f96e8.JPG

The conditions were pretty decent for early season skiing. Coverage was nice with a good coat of artificial snow, groomed over a decent base. The crowd was not large at the start but got larger as the morning progressed. The wait in line for the lift was 2 minutes tops. There was snowmaking going on in many different locations, at the top of the Atomic Express, and the Nordique. If mother nature cooperates this week, the Nordique should be next to open.

Snowmaking on the Nordique:

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.6cd6e5963d7643c12bd7c74ebeeabbcf.JPG

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.2207c07e1e85515434072d5e6d5bfbbf.JPG

After the crowd started to get larger on the 70 West, a few icy patches began to appear but not to the point where you couldn't avoid them. The trail was covered wide enough so there was plenty of space to go around. A couple of modules were set up in a designated area off to the side with plenty of space for everyone to enjoy. 

Prepping a couple modules:

IMG_2100.thumb.JPG.def60978b731633827dd2e4e7180f359.JPG

After a few hours and 7 runs, taking them easy and not pushing on the first day out, it was time to call it. Overall it was a good start to the season. It felt really great to be back on the boards again. Glad to have made the trip. This would mark the second earliest start to the season for me.

Here are some other scenes of the morning:

IMG_2095.thumb.JPG.85b8da49f549027bd333eb81f558a06e.JPG

IMG_2097.thumb.JPG.aadf42a67c3429e6436c5e8b2be5841b.JPG

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.8741a9fdf1a183f6266dda3ab811a1a5.JPG

IMG_2115.thumb.JPG.744f262c9ae5888e409d8e4d9c524998.JPG

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.561869a75014f66d496ba5f69c7a4a0b.JPG

Great report Paul. Thank you for sharing.

The snow coverage on 70 West appears to be fairly complete and full width all over. I can remember a few times in the past where it wasn't and they had some sections with active snowmaking while open. This year they seem content with the conditions to already have moved over to Nordique, and even there it appears to be moving along quite well.

If the cold weather, ideal for snowmaking continues, we could see a rapid expansion of the ski terrain.

One thing is for sure, winter is here and it's already off to a great start. 

Wow. Looks amazing. I saw this morning that they opened Nordique as well. Looks like a year to remember is on the way!

Hopefully not a repeat of last year though, phenomenal start and the second half was a bit of a struggle... we will have none of that this time! :)